In just a little over a week, on February 9, Teatown Lake Reservation will host Teatown's Hudson River EagleFest, a celebration of the winter return of bald eagles to the Hudson Valley. Headquartered with a flurry of activities at Croton Point Park, the event also covers a good chunk of the Hudson River with multiple viewing sites. Birding experts are on hand at each of the sites to help you view eagles and other birds of prey in the wild. Best of all, the sites are all free and have warming tents and cocoa for you to enjoy.
Add these viewing sites to your eagle checklist for the day:
- New Croton Dam, Rte. 129E, Croton-on-Hudson. Just short drive from Croton Point Park, the new Croton Dam will be staffed with members of the Bedford Audubon. Eagles plus gorgeous views make this a must!
- Croton Boat Ramp at the Croton Harmon Train Station--This 'hot spot' for eagle watching will be staffed with members of the Saw Mill River Audubon.
- George's Island, Dutch Street, Montrose--Migrate over to this popular site to see the eagles with members of the Saw Mill River Audubon.
- Steamboat River Park, Riverview Ave., Verplanck. New to Teatown's Hudson River EagleFest, this site offers some great eagle watching.
- Boscobel House and Gardens, Route 9D, Garrison. Also new to the event, the beautiful Boscobel property is a picturesque way to view eagles.
- Trailside Museums and Zoo, Bear Mountain. This site features two viewing locations with beautiful vistas of the southern Hudson Highlands.
- Riverfront Green Park, Hudson Avenue, Peekskill. In addition to viewing, this site features the following shows:
12:30pm: Jonathan Kruk, award-winning storyteller
1:30pm-3:00pm: Brian Bradley of Skyhunters
- Kathryn W. Davis RiverWalk Center, Palmer Avenue, Sleepy Hollow. This site has a wealth of activity including:
10:00am: Jonathan Kruk, award-winning storyteller
11:00am-2:00pm: Nature Crafts with Scenic Hudson
2:00pm: Birds of Prey, Teatown Lake Reservation
11:00am-1:00pm: Creative Art with Strawtown Studio
For more information on Teatown's Hudson River EagleFest, visit www.teatown.org or call 914-762-2912.