In the wake of the fire officials are reminding residents of the importance of the early warning system.
"Years ago, the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) had a slogan, 'Smoke Detectors Save Lives.' This is a true statement," said John Munson, chief of the Croton Fire Department.
"Having the right amount of smoke detectors, in the right locations and in working order can save lives," he said. "A smoke detector should be installed in every sleeping area and outside of every sleeping area. Further, at least one should be installed in every level of a home."
Munson offers Croton-on-Hudson residents this home safety advice:
- There are two basic types of smoke detectors - Ionization and Photoelectric. The Ionization type is generally more responsive to flaming fires, whereas a photoelectric detector is generally more responsive to smoldering type fires (smaller fires within furniture, for example).
- The NFPA recommends using both types to afford you the best detection.
- Every home should also install Carbon Monoxide detectors in a similar fashion as smoke detectors. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas that can only be detected by the use of these detectors. A home with both smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors offers its occupants the best early detection there is.
"If a person has questions about the smoke or Carbon Monoxide detectors, they can call our office at (914) 271-2693," Munson said. "If their smoke or Carbon Monoxide detectors activate and they don't know why, they should always dial 911."